Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Kicking Horse Coffee Sent Me a Freebie

Since the launch of InfoBarrel Author of the Week and InfoBarrel Newbie of the Month, I've been looking for a corporate sponsor.

August 4th, 2015 Kicking Horse Coffee Package Arrives with Free Coffee for My Editor and I (RoseWrites)
Aug. 4th, 2015 Kicking Horse Coffee Arrives (Free Coffee)

I want to be able to provide my guests with a thoughtful keepsake or something that will boost their creative powers. The first thing that came to mind was my favourite coffee: Kicking Horse.

I've been hooked on 454 Horse Power (Dark) for about a year now. Even when my coffee goes cold, 454 tastes pleasant.

How I Learned About Kicking Horse Coffee


Roy MacGregor's September 19th, 2014 article in The Globe and Mail titled Small-town success Kicking Horse coffee brews bold move to the U.S., caught my eye.

What I learned (and liked) were these facts:

1976 Volkswagen T2B taken July 30th, 2014 by Niels de Wit (nielsautos on flickr) CC-by-2.0
Credit: Niels de Wit (nielsautos on flickr) CC-by-2.0
Elena Rosenfeld's mother, Carol, always wanted her to become a chiropractor. Instead, Elena and her partner Leo headed west after university. (She got her degree in religious studies; he in anthropology and sociology). 

They bought some land and set themselves up in a rustic cabin with a garage. She had some cool wheels too, a 1972 orange Volkswagen Westfalia.

After working in the food industry (waiting tables and cooking) they took over a small cafe, sold it, and decided to go into the coffee business.

Elena's mother once snapped: 
"What are you two schmucks going to do, sell coffee out of your garage?"
And that was the quote that grabbed me. Elena actually posts the quote on her website and thanks her mother for saying it.

So, they decided to roast and sell fairtrade organic coffee. And it is excellent. Seriously. 

Those of you who follow me know that I will sacrifice anything (even my dignity) to get good coffee. I wrote the guide Foolproof Coffee (which has received 476 visits, so far) and I swear by my Bodum Chambord French Press.

The other thing that you should know is this: Kicking Horse Coffee has won numerous awards and they even won the title of Canada's Favourite Fairtrade Product this year (2015).

Since I'm Bold (and Annoying) Enough to Ask


I wrote to Kicking Horse Coffee to see if they were open to sponsoring my blog. The response I received was kind and generous. Antonella Sacconi, Director of Marketing, thanked me for writing and added:
We love to hear from our Kicking Horse Coffee lovers!
Regarding your query to sponsor your blog, we currently do not have program to do this, therefore we are unable to pursue your request.
We wish you the best on your blog and writing career! Please send us your address so we can fuel you with some coffee.
Have an awesome day!

And They Delivered on Their Promise


RoseWrites Favourite Coffees Kicking Horse 454 Horse Power (Dark) and Kick Ass with Bodum French Press
My Favourite Coffees: Kicking Horse 454, Kick Ass, and My Bodum French Press

My recommendations (U.S. residents will find it less costly & faster to order from Amazon) are:

Kicking Horse Whole Bean Coffee, Kick Ass Dark Roast, 10 Ounce Bag For dark roast lovers that enjoy a full-bodied, rich coffee. Not bitter or acidic either. 

Kicking Horse Whole Bean Coffee, 454 Horse Power Dark Roast, 2.2 lb. Bag My favourite, for deep thinkers and those with something to prove.

Kicking Horse Whole Bean Coffee, Three Sisters Medium Roast, 12.3 Ounce Tins (2-Pack) My choice for a dessert coffee (when dessert is the coffee). It's slightly sweeter than 454.

No comments:

Post a Comment